San Diego Home Buyer tips – Advantages of Buying a Home vs Renting
With every rent check you write, you’re helping to build equity in your landlord’s property. That money could be going toward building equity in a home of your own. Today’s rates are low enough that your house payment could be lower than your rent payment!
There are many advantages to owning a home, including:
- Security – A feeling of security that comes from owning a home and the knowledge that your home is a safeguard against inflation.
- Investment – Payments on your mortgage loan mean you are acquiring a major possession; instead of rent, you own more and more equity. The garden you plant, the permanent improvements you make – they all enhance your way of living as well as the value of your home.
- Tax Advantage – Your real estate taxes and the interest on your mortgage are deductible from your income tax.
- Financial Independence – Most people start on the road to financial independence through home ownership. Your principal and interest payments remain the same for the full term of your mortgage, when you opt to a fixed rate, while your rent usually goes up as the cost of living increases.
- Environment – Your children grow up in the neighborhood of your choice.
- Cash Equity – Better than a savings account, your home can appreciate to keep pace with inflation.
- Satisfaction – Home ownership offers special advantages that make life more enjoyable – backyard barbecues, large family gatherings during holidays, a home workshop, a chance to enjoy your family’s companionship in the privacy of your own home.
How much home can you afford?
Our handy mortgage calculators can offer you valuable assistance in determining how much real estate you can afford and how much you can borrow.